Monday, June 16, 2008

TRACEROUTE

How does an email for example get from one computer to another? I generally receive emails more than I send them, but before reading about this topic I really hadn't thought about this beyond hitting a send button.

Hypothetically if I send a birthday card to my nephew 'Tommy', it travels through the Australia Post system, from the location that it was sent to the address on the package/envelope. After leaving the distribution mail centre, travelling via road or air to the location of delivery and then hitting the street in a buzzy red Postie Bike, Tommy eagerly checks his letterbox for any birthday mail.

Lets say I decide to save a stamp and time, so send Tommy an Ecard or animated greeting.

Seems quick and easy to do and rather instant when the send button is clicked, but how does it get to Tommy, how does this phantom cyber-postal service work?


As like a physical or logical address, my Ecard (package) upon its delivery has stops on the way (hops).


TASK


I am to traceroute from my a chosen server to curtin.edu.au.
How many 'hops' are there?


My trace was from http:/centralops.net/co/ to curtin.edu.au. Upon entering the site I selected Traceroute.






Trace complete:)


My trace revealed a total of 19 hops, I am gathering that 20 is curtin, the domain curtin in the last column is blank, but it is the last stop.)
I calculate it took 124.67 milliseconds to reach the Curtin Server.
I came about this figure by following the advise of fellow student Robert Crane, "message 376 - adding the value of the last hop line together 249+249+250, then dividing by 3 and to get the one way trip value dividing again by 2".

IP NUMBER of the hostname curtin.edu.au 134.7.179.53

My reflections of the tracerouter experience definitely regards more enlightment now than before that, there is more than just a click of a button. The whole cyber highway is quite complex in technical terms, but very efficient to the user sending or receiving these messages.
Now I am blonde, so forgive me for this thought:) How many hops would a package take from my laptop to my partners who is sitting next to me on the lounge? Hmmm



FURTHER EXPLORATION coming soon........

3 comments:

Ev1L 0wL said...

Hi Zoe
This one blew the magic of the internet for me too! You've toned down the colour scheme! not that I minded the old one, but does it looks a little more sophisticated in here now? cool.
OM

Zoe Russell said...

Thanks Owen:)
I feel like a vintage car most times - takes a while to crank it up but when I get going my experiences are steady and valuable.
My ping log reads a good example of my slow takeoffs, if at the end of this unit I could perform more like a red Honda Civic Type R, I will be extremely happy:)
Zoe

Gaynor said...

Hi Zoe, I don't think you need to be blonde to wonder how many hops it would take from one computer to another when they are right next each other. I asked hubby a similar question while he was playing on his laptop on the other desk and I am a brunette with silver tinges!! Did you find out the answer though?
cheers Gaynor